Thursday 1 August 2013

Hello from Antigua (Guatemala, not the island)

I completed a bit of a geographic jump on Monday, still slightly exhausted from the trek, and barely rested from the one night opposite the bar in the hostel. My flight to Guatemala City involved a trip to Lima and Costa Rica, before arriving in Antigua (about 40 minutes from Guatemala City) at around 8pm. The flights were uneventful, other than the 3 legs of the journey meaning I got to taste the breakfast, lunch and dinner culinary offerings of TACA airline.

The town of Antigua is very picturesque. Lots of Colonial buildings and cobble streets, which serve a dual purpose of making the place rather quaint and forcing the traffic to move at a slow speed. This is probably the first central/south American settlement where crossing the road doesn't present the biggest danger to your health! I haven't really taken any photos of the town yet, mainly because online there is a whole collection of the buildings in Antigua taken by people with far superior camera skills, and I'm also a bit weary about walking around and taking out my not very subtle camera too often. UNESCO site about Antigua.

My host family is just one woman who owns a small shop selling hand-made bags. The house seems quite typical here - you come in through a large wooden door into a courtyard and the rooms all come off that courtyard. The roofs are all tin, making it pretty loud when it rains. The weather is pretty nice though, other than a thunderstorm when I arrived its hot, but not too hot, and in the morning sunny. The food here is very good (and cheap). I'd say it's pretty Mexican in style, lots of tortillas, rice and beans, but the host mother does a good job cooking for us.

I'm not yet sure what the next plans are. There are plenty of places around here where I could relax and spend a few days, but I'm thinking of moving slightly south first. Some Mayan ruins on the boarder with Honduras that could be worth a trip, or up towards Mexico there are some more, although this would be in the wrong direction for my final destination...


No comments:

Post a Comment