Friday 2 August 2013

Tour around Antigua

I took a tour round some of the villages near to Antigua this afternoon. It was nice to learn a bit about the history of the area as well as see some of the local arts and crafts. The first village we visited was the home of the first bishop of Guatemala, which is now a museum / home to a groups of nuns, and generally offers impressive views of the valley in Antigua.
The chapel in the Bishop's house
 The second village was only a quick stop for the church, and the ladies doing their laundry in the main square.
Nice church

Doing the laundry, Guatemalan style
 The final village is famous for its weaving, and here we got the chance to be super-tourists and dress-up in traditional Mayan costumes. There was some pressure to buy stuff at this place, and whilst I do quite like a lot of the traditional produce here, I couldn't really bring myself to buy anything that I'll be hauling through Central America for the next month.
Feeling as stupid as I look

No comments:

Post a Comment